Wednesday 19 March 2014

Once upon a Cabaret Night!

Bonjour!

So a few weeks ago I went to my first Cabaret show!  It was a friends hen do, an offer which she'd found on groupon at Proud Cabaret in the city for £29 which included a three course meal, a glass of wine and a Cabaret show was a steal!

As Cabaret is all glitz and glam I thought I'd get my sequins out, and wore this vintage knitted sequin bolero type cardigan.  I've had it for a few years and it works because it usually spices up an otherwise casual outfit. 

The venue itself was quite obscure because I think they operate with the bar on the top of them, so their sign was slightly hidden.

The venue itself felt like I had been transported back in time to a speak- easy, with its low light and plush booths.  Our host was a bit of a comedian, I say a bit because he had a serious potty mouth and every sentence was filled with sexual innuendos!  Which I've come to find is really a part of what Cabaret is all about.  Had I known what it would be like I would've been more committed to the them, feather boa the works!

There was fire eating, nail-in-the-nose hammering and belly dancing, nipple tassle weraing burlesque dancers.  I found the nail hammering a bit morbid rather than sexy, and I wanted to join in on the belly dancing but after seeing the fire eater once seeing her again it was no longer a shock factor.  Carbon monoxide poisoning came to mind (the sensible side of me!) and David Blaine's fire and water trick.  All the waitress's wore Basques and French knickers, got me thinking about cabaret fashion back in the 1920's and how risque it was in contrast to the traditional values during that time. 



The Blue Angel. Marlene Dietrich as Lola-Lola with the famous cabaret singer Rosa Valetti.
A very saucy Marlene Dietrich
By Atelier D´Ora.
Daring!!
     
It was a fun night aside from the fly I discovered in the jug of water, after I had just taking an almighty gulp (ugh) I still shudder when I think of it.  Have you been to a Cabaret club?



Couldn't help mysef!

(Cabaret: a french word that means an establishment that serves alcoholic beverages)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line, all your comments and feedback are much appreciated!